As I've mentioned, we didn't want to demo the kitchen when we first moved in, we wound up doing the demo out of necessity. But we are finally making some progress:
- We've chosen a sink and cabinets
- The plumber (covered under home warranty, woot!) is coming to fix the hole in the pipe.
- Layout for the cabinets is going on the floor this weekend so we can begin to tile
- Replacement of insulation is going up this week
I haven't mentioned that we ripped out some wall covering while removing the upper cabinets. At the time it was too depressing to finally close the hole in the floor only to open up the walls, but that's what happened. It wound up being needed, as we found yet another mouse nest and entry site. So out with the old insulation in with the new ( I confess, the new is still sitting in a roll on the floor, but we have it!). In addition, we had our first cold snap this weekend, and realized that we should replace all the insulation with a better thickness type, hence our little daytime project.
You'll notice, no where on that list is a counter top selection. While we would love to throw some quartz on there and call it a day, our frugalness is getting the better of us. We could go buy some cheapie laminate, but that's an awful lot of plastic to buy all at once, so we went back to the drawing board.
And now we have an idea that will take care of two things:
1) It will provide the base for quartz when we get around to buying counter top
2) It's inexpensive <--- We are huge fans of inexpensive things!
That's right ladies and gentlemen, we are going to use plywood as counter top. Please note we will poly the crap out of the plywood and make a pretty design under the poly, but it should be ok. Keep your eyes peeled for our project in the (hopefully) near future!
PS- We got a laser level this weekend... Oh my, disaster.